Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Keeneland, 1947

Posted on June 26, 2014 | in Uncategorized | by
Keeneland race course, just before the beginning of the Fall meet, October 4, 1947. In the foreground is the clubhouse while the grandstand is shown in the center.

Keeneland Race Course, just before the beginning of the fall meet, Oct. 4, 1947. In the foreground is the clubhouse, and the grandstand is in the center. The track started racing in April 1936, 11 years before this image was taken. In 1953, work began on expanding the grandstand toward the first turn. Click here to see an image from our archives of that construction. Also during this time, the finish line was moved 184 feet closer to the first turn. Moving the finish line meant that the stretch run was lengthened from 990 to 1,174 feet. In 1963, work began on linking the clubhouse and the grandstand. Click here to see more of our images from Lexington’s famed race track, which is a National Historic Landmark. Herald-Leader Photo Archive

TAGS: , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE