Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Fayette County courthouse dome, 1944

Posted on August 10, 2014 | in Uncategorized | by
In 1944 the interior of the Fayette County courthouse dome was repaired and painted.  This photo showed workers putting up scaffolding prior to making the repairs. Construction on this, the fifth Fayette County Courthouse, began in July of 1898 and was finished February 1, 1900. The new courthouse was a Richardson Romanesque style, a three-story stone masonry building, with a dome, clock and cupola (with weather vane). In 1960-1961, the interior of the courthouse was extensively renovated, to provide more courtrooms and offices.  These renovations included the removal of the interior ÒYÓ stairs and closing off the dome. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002 and in 2003 the Lexington History Center opened. During 2012, the courthouse was closed to the public due to lead paint and asbestos found in the upper floors.  Proposals are under currently under consideration to restore the courthouse to the original design. Published in the Lexington Leader June 29, 1944. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

In 1944, the interior of the Fayette County courthouse dome was repaired and painted. Workers put up scaffolding before making the repairs. Construction of the fifth Fayette County courthouse began in July 1898 and was finished Feb. 1, 1900. The courthouse was a Richardson Romanesque style, a three-story stone masonry building, with a dome, clock and cupola (with weather vane). In 1960 and 1961, the interior of the courthouse was extensively renovated to provide more courtrooms and offices. Those renovations included removing the interior “Y” stairs and closing off the dome. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002, and the Lexington History Center opened in 2003. During 2012, the courthouse was closed to the public because paint and asbestos were found in the upper floors. Proposals are under consideration to restore the courthouse to the original design. This photo was published in the Lexington Leader on June 29, 1944. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE