Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

University of Kentucky campus, 1946

Posted on August 20, 2014 | in Uncategorized | by
Aerial view of the University of Kentucky campus, 1945-1946. Avenue of Champions runs left to right near the bottom of the photograph with Stoll Field and McLean Stadium, center, lower left. It was the home of the University of Kentucky Wildcats football team. The field hasd been in use since 1880, but the concrete stands were opened in October 1916, and closed following the 1972 season, and was replaced by Commonwealth Stadium.  This was taken prior to Memorial Coliseum which was built in 1950.

Aerial view of the University of Kentucky campus, 1945-1946. Avenue of Champions runs left to right near the bottom of the photograph, with Stoll Field and McLean Stadium, center left. It was the home of the University of Kentucky’s football team. The field had been in use since 1880, and the concrete stands were opened in October 1916. After the 1972 season, the stands were replaced by Commonwealth Stadium. This was taken before Memorial Coliseum, which was built in 1950. Click on the image for a closer look.

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE