Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Kennedy’s Book Store, 1982

Posted on August 27, 2014 | in Uncategorized | by
In late August in 1982 University of Kentucky students returned to campus for the fall semester. Students crowded the Kennedy's Bookstore on South Limestone on August 24, 1982. Photo by Gary Landers

In late August of 1982 University of Kentucky students returned to campus for the fall semester. Students crowded the Kennedy’s Bookstore at the south corner of South Limestone and Winslow streets on August 24, 1982. The textbook and fan merchandise store that has been a fixture beside the University of Kentucky campus since 1950, will close after the 2017 fall semester ends. The family opened a small store in an old corner grocery building at 541 South Limestone Street in 1950. By 1953, Kennedy’s had moved to its present corner, which it shared with a bowling alley, barbershop, pool hall, gas station and snack shop. As the bookstore grew and prospered, the family-run business gradually acquired all of the property. In 1964, UK took over operation of the Campus Book Store, which moved to the Student Center across from Kennedy’s and was renamed the University Bookstore. Since 1984, UK has outsourced the store to several companies, including Kennedy’s from 2001-2006. It currently is run by Barnes & Noble. Kennedy’s Book Store changed its name to Kennedy’s Wildcat Den in 2013 to emphasize that it sold much more than books. At the height of Kennedy’s success, the family owned a half-dozen college stores and fan shops in Kentucky and nearby states and ran Transylvania University’s book store. Kennedy’s now has one other business, a UK fan merchandise store in London, which will continue operating for the near-future. Photo by Gary Landers

TAGS: , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE