Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Fayette County courthouse stairway, 1960

Posted on January 21, 2015 | in Uncategorized | by
Interior of the Fayette County Courthouse in August of 1960 showing the Y-shaped stairwell that led to offices and court rooms on the second and third floors.  Construction on this, the fifth Fayette County Courthouse, began in July of 1898 and was finished February 1, 1900. The new courthouse was a Richardson Romanesque style, a three-story stone masonry building, with a dome, clock and cupola (with weather vane). In 1960-1961, the interior of the courthouse was extensively renovated, to provide more courtrooms and offices.  These renovations included the removal of the interior Y stairs and closing off the dome. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002 and in 2003 the Lexington History Center opened. During 2012, the courthouse was closed to the public due to lead paint and asbestos found in the upper floors.  Proposals are under currently under consideration to restore the courthouse to the original design. Published in the Lexington Herald-Leader August 28, 1960.

The Fayette County courthouse, shown in August 1960, with a Y-shaped stairwell that led to offices and courtrooms on the second and third floors. In 1960-1961, the interior of the courthouse was extensively renovated to create more courtrooms and offices. The interior Y stairs were removed and the dome was closed off. The courthouse, Fayette County’s fifth, was built between July 1898 and Feb. 1, 1900. It was designed in Richardson Romanesque style as a three-story stone masonry building, and it had a dome, a clock and a cupola with a weather vane. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002, and in 2003, the Lexington History Center opened. In 2012, the courthouse was closed to the public after lead paint and asbestos were found in the upper floors. Proposals are now under consideration to restore the courthouse to its original design. This photo was published in the Lexington Herald-Leader on Aug. 28, 1960.

TAGS: , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE