Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Resurfacing of Richmond Road/East Main Street, 1948

Posted on February 22, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
Resurfacing of Richmond Road, at the intersection of Ashland Avenue, Aug. 26, 1948. The resurfacing was one of the final parts of a year-long project to widen Richmond Road from two lanes to four, to an area just past Idle Hour Country Club, but before the Lexington reservoir. Over the years, more restaurants have been at this intersection, 735 East Main Street, than perhaps any other location in town. At left is the sign for the first restaurant at this address, the Stirrup Cup, whcih opened in 1938. It closed in the 1960s but reopened in 1980, only to close again in 1982. Today it is Coles 735 Main restaurant. Herald-Leader archive photo.

Resurfacing of Richmond Road, at the intersection of Ashland Avenue, Aug. 26, 1948. That intersection is about where East Main Street becomes Richmond Road. The resurfacing was one of the final parts of a yearlong project to widen Richmond Road from two lanes to four, to an area just past Idle Hour Country Club, almost to the Lexington reservoir. Over the years, more restaurants have been at this intersection, 735 East Main Street, than perhaps any other location in town. At left is the sign for the first restaurant at that address, the Stirrup Cup, which opened in 1938. It closed in the 1960s but reopened in 1980, only to close again in 1982. Today it is Coles 735 Main restaurant. Herald-Leader archive photo.

Use the slider below to see how this picture compares to what the intersection looks like today.

TAGS: ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE