Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Fayette Courthouse renovation, 1949

Posted on June 28, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
Workers were placing a new ceiling in the circuit courtroom of the Fayette courthouse on September 8, 1949. This was the first in a series of proposed improvements for the judicial chambers. The new ceiling is designed to give better acoustics and will have a level surface instead of the ornate ceiling. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002, and the Lexington History Center opened in 2003. During 2012, the courthouse was closed to the public because paint and asbestos were found in the upper floors. Restoration of the building is currently underway.  Published in the Lexington Herald September 9, 1949. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

Workers placed a new ceiling in the circuit court room of the Fayette County courthouse on Sept. 8, 1949. This was the first in a series of proposed improvements for the judicial chambers. The new ceiling was designed to give better acoustics and had a level surface instead of the ornate ceiling. The last trial was held in the courthouse in 2002, and the Lexington History Center opened in 2003. In 2012, the courthouse was closed because lead paint and asbestos were found in the upper floors. Restoration of the building is currently underway. Published in the Lexington Herald on Sept. 9, 1949. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE