Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Closing up old Fayette County jail, 1976

Posted on December 10, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
Fayette County Attorney E. Lawson King, left, and Jailer Harold Buchignani, locked up the old Fayette County Jail, built in 1891, on Short Street on October 10, 1976.  One hundred and twenty-four prisoners were transported from this old jail on Saturday October 9, to the new $6.4 million Fayette County Detention Center on Corral St.  By 1989 the new facility, designed to hold 574 inmates was consistently over-populated and a federal judge ordered the city to fix the problem. The current jail, off Old Frankfort Pike, was the solution and was completed in 2000. The $62 million facility was capable of holding 1,200. On October 21, 2000 450 inmates were moved from the downtown jail to the new one on Old Frankfort Pike. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff

Fayette County Attorney E. Lawson King, left, and Jailer Harold Buchignani locked up the old Fayette County jail, built in 1891, on Short Street on Oct. 10, 1976. One day earlier, 124 inmates were transported from the old jail to a new $6.4 million jail on Corral Street. By 1989, that jail, designed to hold 574 inmates, was consistently overpopulated, and a federal judge ordered the city to fix the problem. The solution was the current jail, off Old Frankfort Pike. That $62 million jail, completed in 2000, is capable of holding 1,200 inmates. On Oct. 21, 2000, 450 inmates were moved from the downtown jail to the new one. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE