Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Silvestri’s market set to close, 1961

Posted on February 27, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Three generations of Silvestris prepared to close the fruit store that the family had operated for many years at the entrance to the Lafayette-Phoenix parking garage on East Main Street. Joe, left, his son, David, and his father, Harry, closed the market after business hours the day after this photo was taken, Aug. 10, 1961. The store was formerly known as Marcellino’s and was first opened in 1896 by Italian-born Anthony Marcellino. After Anthony’s death in 1940, his son-in-law, Harry Silvestri, took over operation of the store. Shelves were stocked with foods packed in countries from Israel to Japan. Silvestri’s carried a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, plus exotic foods, such as chocolate-covered ants and grasshoppers, and rattlesnake meat. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE