Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, 1973

Posted on April 29, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Aerial view of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill near Harrodsburg on Jan. 23, 1973. Known as Shakertown, it was the home of the third-largest Shaker religious community in the United States between 1805 and 1910. A 1961 preservationist effort made it America’s largest restored Shaker village, and it is now a National Historic Landmark. Sitting on 3,000 acres, the popular tourist destination features architectural wonders, gardening and farming demonstrations, and a hotel and restaurant. U.S. 68 (Lexington Road) used to run directly through the center of the village until 1965, when the road was rerouted to bypass the village. In 1968, the main village road was restored to its original appearance. Click on the image for a closer look, and click here to see another image taken from a different angle. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE