Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

U.S. Public Health Service Hospital open house, 1955

Posted on June 7, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Several hundred people toured the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital, now the Federal Medical Center, on May 27, 1955, in connection with an open house to observe the hospital’s 20th anniversary. Visitors were taken on group tours of the hospital during the day. The hospital’s front entrance, seen here, was dedicated May 25, 1935. The site, on 1,000 acres about seven miles northwest of Lexington, was originally known as the “United States Narcotic Farm,” where people with drug abuse problems were “voluntarily” admitted and treated, mostly with experimental treatments. It was the first of its kind in the United States and included a farm where patients worked. Shortly after beginning operation, the name was changed to the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital. In 1967, it became the National Institute of Mental Health, Clinical Research Center. In 1974, the institution became a federal prison, and today, it houses male and female inmates requiring medical or mental health care. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE