Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

New Henry Clay High School, 1970

Posted on August 24, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Henry Clay High School on Fontaine Road, Oct. 6, 1970. A month earlier, the school opened to students after moving from its Main Street address, where it had been since 1928. On opening day for the $5.2 million school, Aug. 31, 1970, the floor and ceiling of the cafeteria and the interior of the gym, the two buildings shown at right, were not completed because of a carpenters and concrete finishers strike. Also, the baseball, football and track fields were under construction. In 2006, a connector building was completed, joining the cafeteria to the main classroom building, shown at left. The school, named after statesman and Lexingtonian Henry Clay, is the oldest public high school in Lexington. Click on the image for a closer look. Published in the Oct. 8, 1970, Lexington Leader. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

TAGS: , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE