Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Central Baptist hospital construction, 1952

Posted on July 8, 2019 | in Uncategorized | by

Construction of Central Baptist hospital on Nicholasville Road in March of 1952. At a cost of $2.6 million, construction took six years, hampered by fundraising efforts that lasted nearly a decade. The hospital was part of a three-phase construction program to add 750 more beds to the state. In addition to Central Baptist, Kentucky Baptists constructed Western Baptists in Paducah and an addition to Kentucky Baptists hospital in Louisville. The H-shaped, 108,000 square-foot structure on what was then called Nicholasville Pike, had 173 beds, 25 bassinets, five operating rooms and two delivery rooms. The hospital opened its doors on May 12, 1954. Gifts from 35 Central Kentucky stores and organizations were presented to the first baby delivered at the hospital, a daughter born to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Shannon. Today the hospital goes by the name Baptist Health Lexington. Click here to see another image from our archives of the hospital. Published in the Lexington Herald March 8, 1952. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE