Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

St. Joseph Hospital, 1947

Posted on February 8, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
St. Joseph's Hospital at 544 West Second Street in Lexington, Nov. 1947. St. Joseph, Lexington's first hospital opened in 1877 and was initially located on Lincoln Walk, near Maxwell Street. In 1878 it relocated to this Second Street location, going through several additions and renovations in the 81 years to follow. In 1959 they moved to their current location on Harrodsburg Road. The four-story building pictured, which had a 300-bed capacity, was razed in 1966. It is now the site of Connie Griffith Manor, a 10-story senior housing apartment managed by the Lexington Housing Authority. Published in the Lexington Herald-Leader November 16, 1947. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

St. Joseph Hospital at 544 West Second Street in Lexington, November 1947. St. Joseph, Lexington’s first hospital, opened in 1877 on Linden Walk, near Maxwell Street. In 1878, it moved to this Second Street address, going through several additions and renovations in the 81 years to follow. In 1959, the hospital moved to its current site on Harrodsburg Road. The four-story building above, which had a 300-bed capacity, was razed in 1966. It is now the site of Connie Griffith Manor, a 10-story senior housing apartment managed by the Lexington Housing Authority. This photo was published in the Lexington Herald-Leader on Nov. 16, 1947 with a story about the hospital celebrating its 70th anniversary in Lexington. Click here to see a PDF of that page of the newspaper. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE