Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Clay-Gentry Stockyards, 1950

Posted on March 30, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

An aerial view of the Clay-Gentry Stockyards on Angliana Avenue in Lexington, July 1950. The stockyards was bounded by Angliana Avenue, running horizontally at the bottom, Versailles Road at left, and the Southern railroad yard near the top of the photo. Just beyond the railroad is Davis Bottom. At the time of the Civil War, a Union fort occupied the site to defend Lexington from the west. After the war, the Cincinnati Southern Railroad built the tracks in the late 1870s. The site became the Gentry Brothers Stock Yards by 1887, and it was later known as the Clay-Gentry Stock Yards. In 1961, the yards became the Clay-Wachs Stock Yards, and in 1980, the owners of Lexington’s other stockyard, Blue Grass Stock Yards, bought the Clay-Wachs yards. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE