Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Smiley Pete, 1950

Posted on June 10, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Smiley Pete received his daily handout of dog food from Tommy Taylor at Carter Supply Co. in October 1950. Smiley Pete started living in downtown Lexington about 1946 and became something of the “town dog,” spending much of his time on the sidewalks between Welch’s Cigar Store and Brandy’s Kitchen on the east corner of Main Street and Limestone. After his death on June 18, 1957, Smiley Pete’s human friends collected $66, and the University of Kentucky College of Engineering cast a bronze plaque as a memorial to the town dog. It was installed in May 1958 Main and Limestone beside what is now Courthouse Plaza. Carter Supply, owned by Frank and John Carter, carried pet supplies; dairy and poultry supplies; dog foods and remedies; garden supplies; and bird seed, cages and bird supplies. See Tom Eblen’s story about Smiley Pete on Kentucky.com and in Sunday’s newspaper. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE