Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Kentucky Central Insurance building, 1976

Posted on June 20, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

What was then the building that housed Kentucky Central Insurance Co. and is now the home of the Lexington Urban County Government at 200 East Main Street, in July 1976. The 12-story, 300-room building was originally the Lafayette Hotel and had its grand opening on Dec. 2, 1920. The hotel, built to rival the Phoenix Hotel, farther west on Main Street, closed in 1963. At that time, Garvice Kincaid, CEO of Kentucky Central Insurance Co., moved his company into the building. Ashland Oil Co. moved into the building about 1979, when Kentucky Central moved into Kincaid Towers on Vine Street. Then in 1982, the Urban County Government bought the building and moved from the old city hall offices on what was then Walnut Street. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE