Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Sayre School, 1976

Posted on August 27, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

The Sayre School’s campus in downtown Lexington, May 10, 1976. The private school was founded in 1854 and serves students from preschool through 12th grade. It was a girls-only institution until 1876. The campus shown here is bordered by North Martin Luther King Boulevard to the right, Constitution Street across the top and Pleasant Stone Street along the bottom. In 1976, the school had a senior class of 46. Over the years the campus has expanded its footprint north between North Limestone and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, building a new high school on what used to be the bus garage in the upper left corner of this image. Today, the building in the center with the columns is the gym, and the L-shaped building below it and the building across the street have been torn down to make way for new buildings. Click on the image for a closer look. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE