Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Christmas shoppers at Woolworth’s, 1949

Posted on December 12, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Christmas shoppers in front of the F.W. Woolworth store in downtown Lexington in December 1949. Click on the image for a closer look. The popular five-and-dime store opened Sept. 9, 1948, at 106-122 West Main Street. The store closed in 1990 and was demolished in 2004. The other buildings on that block were razed to make way for the CentrePointe development. Lexington’s shopping habits have changed markedly over the years — including where we shop and how we shop. In 1949, when 100,000 people turned out for the downtown Christmas parade and shoppers went to Purcell’s to see the elaborate department displays, no one could have imagined malls, Hamburg Pavilion, The Summit or Amazon.com. Read more here on how Christmas shopping in Lexington has changed in 70 years. Herald-Leader archive photo

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE