Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

St. Tammany meeting house, 1947

Posted on February 18, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

The Lexington Leader ran a photo of this building, which had just turned 150 years old, at the southeast corner of Vine and Upper Streets, in October 1947, to mark the meeting location of the Lexington chapter of The Society of St. Tammany, or Columbian Order. The society was a political organization founded in New York City in 1786. Known as the “widow Thomas house”, shown here facing Vine Street, which ran right to left in the photo. The house was built in 1797 and at a later date encased in brick to improve it’s appearance and strengthen the structure. At the time of this photo was taken the ground floor was occupied by the Lincoln Restaurant. Photo by Ralph Looney | Staff

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE