Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Ben Snyder’s Easter advertisement, 1968

Posted on April 1, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

Full-page advertisement in the April 12, 1968 Lexington Herald for an Easter sale at the Ben Snyder department store. At this time Lexington had two Snyder’s locations; one downtown and the other at Eastland, the city’s first shopping center. Some of the items promoted in the ad include a boys’ Easter sport coat for $12.98, girls’ laminated Orlon Easter coats starting at $7.88 and and women’s shoes available in seven neon colors to choose from for $5.97. Click on the image for a closer look. The downtown store was at 113 East Main St., now the site of the Fayette County courthouse plaza. It operated there from 1935 until 1980, leaving Wolf Wile’s as the only downtown department store. The Eastland location opened in 1964 and closed in 1985. The store was founded in 1913 and had locations in Louisville, Paducah, Elizabethtown, Bowling Green and southern Indiana. In 1987 Hess’s Department Stores bought the remaining Snyder’s.

TAGS: , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE