Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

The Milner Hotel on Short Street, 1947

Posted on January 13, 2019 | in Uncategorized | by

This March 1947 photo showed the Milner Hotel at 114 West Short Street and ran with a story about the property changing hands. This location, at the corner of Short and Limestone, was a hotel site since 1893, when it opened as the Leland Hotel. It remained the Leland Hotel until August 1937 when a change of ownership renamed it the Milner Hotel. In March 1947 it was purchased and became the Charlotte Hotel. October 1948 again brought new owners who changed the name to the Henry Clay Hotel, which it remained until it was razed in December 1961 for a parking lot, which it still is today. Foundation footings of the five-story building were large limestone rocks which came from the old Fayette County jail which was located at the corner of Short and North Limestone streets. ItÕs stone fronting was Bedford limestone. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE