Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

McAdams & Morford Drugs on Main Street, 1939

Posted on July 15, 2019 | in Uncategorized | by

Looking west down Lexington’s Main Street at Upper Street, 1939. The building at the corner is the McAdams & Morford Building. The drug store occupied the corner space from 1898-1994. The three-story building was completed in 1849 and housed Melodeon Hall, one of Lexington’s first large theaters on the second floor. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. In 2017 a car wreck damaged the entrance to Harvey’s restaurant at the corner of what was the drug store and uncovered elaborate arches that were part of the Venetian Renaissance cast-iron façade added to the building in the 1850s. Today the corner location is Harvey’s Bar & Hugo’s Ultralounge. Herald-Leader archive photo.

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE