Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Little Georgetown, 1978

Posted on September 13, 2015 | in Uncategorized | by
Mildred Edmonds, a resident of Little Georgetown, sat on her front porch beneath approach light towers of then Blue Grass Field, in August 1978. Her house sat on the south side of Parker's Mill Road across from the end of the main runway.  Little Georgetown originated in the nineteenth century after the Civil War on land that had been part of a farm belonging to George Waltz. The community may be named for him or for freed slave George Washington who subdivided some land he owned there in 1877. It once had a school and about 90 residents, but as the airport expanded many residents left the area and others who were directly in the path of the runway were given money by the airport to relocate. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

Mildred Edmonds, a resident of Little Georgetown, sat on her front porch beneath approach light towers of what was then called Blue Grass Field in August 1978. Her house sat on the south side of Parkers Mill Road across from the end of the main runway. Little Georgetown originated in the 19th century after the Civil War on land that had been part of a farm belonging to George Waltz. The community might be named for him or for freed slave George Washington, who subdivided some land he owned there in 1877. It once had a school and about 90 residents, but as the airport expanded, many residents left the area, and others who were directly in the path of the runway were given money by the airport to move. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE