Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Union Station parking circle, 1950

Posted on November 15, 2015 | in Uncategorized | by
The parking circle in front of Union Station on East Main Street in April 1950. Union Station sat at East Main Street just west of the Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Blvd) viaduct. The Lexington police department and county clerk's office  Top left of the photo is the original location of the Wolf Wile Department Store, which moved to a more modern building on Main Street in 1950, next to Quality Street, where Gray Construction Company now has it's offices. Across Main Street is the Strand Theatre, which opened in 1915 and closed in 1974. Published in the Lexington Herald April 8, 1950. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

A controversial proposal to turn the Union Station Park into a parking lot was front-page news in April 1950. Union Station sat at East Main Street just west of the Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Blvd) viaduct. It opened in 1907, and the last train left the station in 1957. The building was torn down in 1960. The current building at the site houses the Lexington Police Department and the Fayette County clerk’s office. At top left is the original Wolf Wile department store, which moved to a more modern building on Main Street in 1950, next to Quality Street, where Gray Construction Co. now has its offices. Across Main Street is the Strand Theatre, which opened in 1915 and closed in 1974. Published in the Lexington Herald on April 8, 1950. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE