Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Valentine shopping, 1951

Posted on February 14, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
Children shop for Valentines at the S.S. Kresge & Company five and dime store at 250 West Main Street in Lexington, Feb. 1951. From left are Sara Smith, Paul Leonard and Shirley McQueen. The chain store opened in 1912 in Lexington and was a favorite venue for thrifty family shopping. After an expansion and re-opening in 1947, The Lexington Leader credited the store with changing Lexingtonians attitudes towards chain stores. The store closed in 1967 and is now the site of the Lexington Financial Center, more commonly known as the "Big Blue Building". The S.S. Kresge Company was later renamed the Kmart Corporation in 1977. Published Feb. 8, 1951 in the Lexington Leader. Herald-Leader archive photo

Children shopped for Valentines at the S.S. Kresge & Co. store at 250 West Main Street in Lexington, February 1951. From left are Sara Smith, Paul Leonard and Shirley McQueen. The chain store opened in 1912 in Lexington and was a favorite venue of thrifty shoppers. After it expanded and reopened in 1947, The Lexington Leader credited the store with changing Lexingtonians’ attitudes toward chain stores. The store closed in 1967 and is now the site of the Lexington Financial Center, more commonly known as the “Big Blue Building.” The S.S. Kresge Co. was renamed Kmart Corp. in 1977. Published Feb. 8, 1951, in the Lexington Leader. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE