Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Rogers Restaurant, 1965

Posted on August 15, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
George Rogers in front of his restaurant at 601 West Main Street in June of 1965 after announcing plans to move the popular eatery to 808 South Broadway. Rogers bought the a former confectionery, located at the corner of Jefferson St. and West Main, in 1923. Rogers Restaurant featured home-style cooking and included hams he cured himself from hogs raised on his Woodford County farm. He sold the restaurant in 1974 to Charles Ellinger, who bought it as a Valentine's gift to his wife, Jan. Ellinger's son, Chuck Ellinger eventually took over the restaurant. Lexington's oldest restaurant closed it's doors on July 17, 2004. Published in the Lexington Herald June 19, 1965. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

George Rogers in front of his restaurant at 601 West Main Street in June 1965 after announcing plans to move the popular eatery to 808 South Broadway. Rogers had bought a former confectionery at Jefferson and West Main streets in 1923. Rogers Restaurant featured home-style cooking and included hams he cured himself from hogs raised on his farm in Woodford Count. He sold the restaurant in 1974 to Charles Ellinger, who bought it as a Valentine’s gift to his wife, Jan. The Ellingers’ son, Chuck, eventually took over the restaurant. Lexington’s oldest restaurant closed its doors on July 17, 2004. Published in the Lexington Herald June 19, 1965. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE