Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Downtown Lexington railroads, 1956

Posted on October 24, 2016 | in Uncategorized | by
The view looking west down Lexington's Union Station Railroad yards in the winter of 1956. The photo was taken from on top of the Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Blvd) viaduct. Union Station opened in 1907, and the last train left the station in 1957. The building was torn down in 1960. The tracks were removed in 1968 and Vine Street, which can be seen on the left side of the photo, were widened in their place.

This view looks west down Lexington’s Union Station railroad yards in winter 1956. The photo was taken from atop the Harrison Street (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) viaduct. Union Station opened in 1907, and the last train left the station in 1957, and the station was torn down in 1960. The last passenger train at the Southern Railway station pulled out in 1970. The last L&N train left shortly after. The city’s last passenger train, the Chesapeake & Ohio’s George Washington, left Lexington on May 1, 1971. The tracks were removed shortly after, and Vine Street, which can be seen on the left side of the photo, was widened in their place. Click here to see more images of Union Station from our archives.

TAGS: , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE