Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Gas explosion damages home, 1944

Posted on December 9, 2018 | in Uncategorized | by

John W. Woods, 70, escaped serious injury and his wife escaped injury entirely early February 11, 1944, when an explosion blasted the side from their home at 105 Woodford Drive. The blast occurred when Mr. Woods attempted to light a gas bathroom heater, wrecking the interior of the five-room frame house, blowing out its windows and spreading debris over a wide area. According to firemen, a gas heating stove in one of the rooms was turned on but not lighted, filling the house during the night and was ignited when Mr. Woods struck a match. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , ,

Comments are closed.

Photo reprints

See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .


 Follow us on Twitter