Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Main Street, downtown Lexington, 1949

Posted on April 24, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

Downtown Lexington on March 7, 1949, looking east down Main Street from the First National Bank and Trust Co., the city’s first skyscraper. Up the street at right is the Phoenix Hotel, which is now the site of Phoenix Park, the Central Library and Park Plaza apartments. Click here to see this block from street level a year later, in 1950. To the left, across Main Street, is the Ben Snyder department store. Today, it’s the site of the Fayette County courthouse plaza. Limestone runs horizontally near the bottom of the image. Note that the traffic on Main Street runs both ways. Main Street became one-way in 1971. Click on the image for a closer look. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE