Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Turfland Mall site, 1962

Posted on September 4, 2017 | in Uncategorized | by

A farm at what would become Lexington’s first mall, Turfland Mall, on Jan. 14, 1962. Harrodsburg Road run horizontally across the middle of the image. Lane Allen Road runs up from the lower left corner, headed toward the Picadome and Southland neighborhoods. The Springs Motel can be seen in the center of the image. The motel opened in 1948 with 68 rooms and was a popular Lexington resting stop because of its proximity to Keeneland. The dining room was popular for its hot Browns, prime rib, fried chicken and Southern-style green beans. It was renamed the Springs Inn in the 1980s, and it closed on Nov. 23, 2008. The landmark motel was razed the next year. A CVS drugstore, a McDonald’s and a Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers restaurant were built on the site. Turfland Mall opened in 1967 with 560,000 square feet and 45 stores, including major tenants McAlpin’s and Montgomery Ward. The mall closed in 2008. Parts of the mall were later demolished or converted into a Home Depot and a UKHealthCare health center. Click on the image for a closer look. Herald-Leader Archive Photo

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE