Photos from the Lexington Herald-Leader archives updated daily

Campbell House Inn, 1951

Posted on October 19, 2020 | in Uncategorized | by

The Campbell House Inn construction site at the intersection of Harrodsburg and Mason Headley Roads in Lexington, January, 1951. The hotel opened later that year with 130 rooms, each with air conditioning, a radio and a telephone.

The fire-proof structure had a dining room with a seating capacity of 300. The two-story Colonial cream brick hotel was built in the form of an “H”.

The opening of the hotel was part of a major boom year for hotels in Lexington that year. The Phoenix Hotel in downtown Lexington, erected a multi-million dollar, nine-story expansion on the site of their four story section. And the Springs Motel, also on Harrodsburg Road, expanded, increasing their capacity by 30. Click here to see another image from our archive of the Campbell House Inn, in 1960.

TAGS: , , , , , , ,

Photo reprints


See a photo that you would like to have a reprint of? All photos that appear in this blog can be purchased from
MyCapture .

TITLE

 Follow us on Twitter
@KYPhotoArchive

TITLE