February 26, 2025
An aerial view of the second day of the 1946 Keeneland spring meet, April 12, 1946. 6,000 people were in attendance this day at the track. The parking lot can bee seen behind the grandstand. Click on the photo for a closer look. The 11-day spring meet was capped off with the 22nd running of the Blue Grass Stakes, featuring a $12,500 purse, adjusted for inflation that would be $171,000 today. The 2019 Blue Grass Stakes had a purse of $1 million. Admission to the track in 1946 was $1 for men and 50 cents for women. Published in the Lexington Herald on April 13, 1946. Click here to see other images form our archives of Keeneland. Photo by E. Martin Jessee | Staff
The Lexington Legends baseball field during sodding, March 1, 2001. The stadium, next to Northland Shopping Center, was named Applebee’s Park for the team’s first nine seasons. Since 2011, it has been called Whitaker Bank Ballpark. The Legends are a single-A minor league baseball team that started as an affiliate of the Houston Astros. They are now part of the Kansas City Royals farm system. Here is another photo of the Legends’ stadium construction. April 7 is opening night for the 2016 season. Photo by Janet Worne | Staff
An aerial view of downtown Richmond, June 1977. Main Street runs from lower left to upper right. At the bottom is the Madison County Courthouse. Photo by John C. Wyatt | Staff (Click on the photo for a closer look and click on the links to see more photos of Richmond: Eastern Bypass in 1977; downtown Richmond in 1982 and 1989.)
Aerial photo of the area of the University of Kentucky campus, showing the site of the new library on August 26, 1993. What would be named the W.T. Young Library was built in the lower center area of the photo and bounded by Hilltop Avenue, at left, and Woodland Avenue, across the bottom of the photo. Construction began in 1994, and the library was dedicated in 1998. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff
Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott gave a kiss and a World Series ring to Jose Rijo before the 1991 season-opening game against the Houston Astros at Riverfront Stadium on April 8, 1991. Rio, who was the World Series MVP, and all the players on the 1990 team received rings before the game. The 1991 Reds could not match the success of their 1990 championship. They closed the year seven games below .500, finishing second to last in the National League West. The 2016 Reds open the season April 4 against the Philadelphia Phillies. Photo by Charles Bertram | Staff
The Scott County town of Stamping Ground lay nearly leveled the day after being hit by a tornado on April 3, 1974. April 3-4 mark the 42nd anniversary of a super tornado outbreak that saw 148 twisters touch down in 13 states. By the time it was over 330 people were dead and 5,484 were injured in a damage path covering more than 2,500 miles. Fortunately no one was killed in Stamping Ground. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff
Construction of the skyway crossing South Broadway in downtown Lexington, connecting the Hyatt Regency, left, and Kincaid Towers in July 1979. The concrete span, the first in a series of skyways over downtown, is 100 feet long and nine feet wide. It’s about 30 feet above South Broadway at its midpoint. The $100,000 project would wrap up with a large covering of aluminum and Plexiglas. It opened when Kincaid Towers construction was completed later in fall 1979. The photo was taken looking northeast down South Broadway. In the background, just beyond the top of the bus, is what is now The Square. To the left of the bus is a parking lot that would later become Triangle Park. Photo by Frank Anderson | Staff
Interior view of the community grocery store in Cooperstown on the University of Kentucky campus, shortly after it opened in January 1948. Cooperstown was a village of apartments, built in 1946, to house veterans who enrolled at UK. C. A. Shields, the manager, is in a white apron behind the counter. The grocery, which was created to serve the more than 500 student veterans and faculity familes living in the housing complex, was a converted Army quonset hut. Published in the Lexington Leader on Jan. 23, 1948. Here is an aerial photo of the Cooperstown housing project in 1946. Herald-Leader Archive Photo
Jockey Calvin Borel celebrates after winning the 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby aboard Street Sense, May 5, 2007, at Churchill Downs in Louisville. The hall of fame jockey would win the Run for the Roses two more times during his career, in 2009 with Mine That Bird and the following year aboard Super Saver. Borel, second only to the legendary Pat Day in terms of all-time wins at the Louisville track, announced his retirement March 30, 2016, after a 33-year career. Photo by Charles Bertram | staff
Ken Maynard and his horse, Tarzan, posed for a photo outside the big top of Biller Brothers Circus in April 1950. It was the first circus of the season to come to Lexington in 1950 and it set up off Newtown Pike. Published in the Lexington Leader on April 15, 1950. Herald-Leader Archive Photo