April 5, 2025
Pictured at Daughters of the American Revolution auction in Paris, Ky. in June 1949, was Haydon Iglehart holding a 178-year-old porcelain powder box. Proceeds from the auction were to establish a John Fox, Jr. Memorial Library to be located in a room under the banquet hall at Duncan Tavern in Paris. Fox, a journalist, novelist and short story writer, was born in Bourbon County in 1862. He entered Transylvania College at age 15, spending two years before going to Harvard. Two of his more well-know novels were “The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come” and The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.” Herald-Leader Archive Photo
A popular feature of the Continental Inn, as seen here in February 2002, was the indoor swimming pool surrounded by tropical plants. The 319-room hotel, near the intersection of New Circle and Winchester roads stoped accepting guests on August 31, 2005. Most of the hotel was demolished in 2007. The last remaining building, the Conference Center, was torn down in 2016. Photo by Charles Bertram | Staff
Steve Bond and Gene Hausley hung out on E. Third Street and N. Eastern Avenue on July 18, 1980. In the background is the former Martin Jessee Liquor Store, which was owned by Herald-Leader photographer E. Martin Jessee. It’s now the home of Martine’s Pastries. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff
University High seniors, playing the Todd sisters in an adaptation of “Love Is Eternal,” the Mary Todd Lincoln story, looked quite at home on the steps of the Todd House on West Main Street in November 1955. Playing the Todd sisters were, from left, Dobree Adams, paging Elizabeth; Barbara Hymson, as Mary, and Barbara Harper, as Ann. Herald-Leader Archive Photo
Paul Stewart left the Nonesuch Voting Precinct Number 9 on primary election day in May 1987. Kentucky’s primary election is today and will determine candidates who will run for partisan offices in the November 6 general election. Photo by Charles Bertram | Staff
David May and his horse “Buck” transported Mark Rice to high ground in a flooded downtown Salyersville May 7, 1984. Water was 21/2 feet deep under the town’s only traffic light and officials estimated that 25 homes or businesses had been flooded and about 15 families evacuated. Photo by Ron Garrison | Staff
Wilbur “Shorty” Jamerson of Henderson was shown clearing the bar at 10 feet, 2 inches as he tied for second place in pole vault in Kentucky High School Athletics Association (KHSAA) track and field meet at Stoll field, May 17, 1946. Jamerson went on to attend the University of Kentucky and became a star running back under coach Paul “Bear” Bryant’s football team. Jamerson accounted for both touchdowns in UK’s 1951 Sugar Bowl victory over Oklahoma. The KHSAA State Track and Field Championships, including the pole vault finals, is scheduled for this morning at UK’s outdoor Track and Field Complex. Herald-Leader Archive Photo
Henry Clay’s Bryan Sackman competed in the KHSAA Regional Tennis finals in May 1992 at the University of Kentucky tennis courts. This year’s individual and doubles state tournament is being held this week, with the finals on Saturday at UK’s Downing Tennis Complex. Photo by Tim Sharp | Staff